Saturday, November 18, 2017

Bibles

To date, when I have posted direct quotes from the Holy Bible, I have used the New International Version (NIV).  A friend introduced me to the NIV around 1980, and it was like turning on the lights in a dark room.  Through studying the NIV, I finally got a grasp on salvation by grace, and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.  I will always be grateful.

The edition of the NIV that I use was published prior to 1984, and I still use it for my personal devotions.  Recently, I became aware that there have been some revisions made to the NIV, since 1984.  I believe that these revisions were a sincere effort to increase its readability, and to update it with the latest scholarship; including archeological discoveries and improvements in the art of translation.  I prefer to assume good faith when I can, however, the changes also included attempts to make the NIV more gender neutral.

I support changes and updates that in language most closely follow the words and thoughts of extant manuscripts and source materials.  I do not accept changes that are intended to make the Bible “politically correct.”  It says what it says, period.  As the saying goes, “God said it, I believe it, and that settles it.”

Jesus is the Living Word. (John 1:1) He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Heb. 13:8) His word must not be changed, due to popular opinion. His true word will never pass away. (Luke 21:33) Those who change the wording of a Bible translation in ways that are not supported by the ancient source documents are doomed to failure, and God will punish them (Rev. 22:18-19).

Some say that the only acceptable version of the Bible is the King James Version (KJV).  They are particularly averse to versions that do not rely on the Textus Receptus.  This argument takes things too far.  The KJV is not the only reliable version of the Bible. * However, we are responsible to safeguard our Christian walk from false teaching. (Phil. 2:12-13, Acts 17:11) There are a great many translations that are written to advance the theology of the translators.  Others have been changed to make them more palatable to certain groups (LGBTQ) or for export to Muslim countries.

When I post, I do not want to refer to the NIV any longer because the pre-1984 edition that I have is no longer in print.  I cannot in good conscience refer to the NIV if there is a chance that someone will begin using the editions that are currently in print.  So, I did some legwork, and from now on I will refer to the New King James Version (NKJV) or to the New American Standard Bible (NASB).  These are highly respected versions, compiled by groups of scholars who had to arrive at a consensus before material was included.

The NKJV should not be regarded as simply an update of the KJV, but rather as a new translation that combines the KJV with updated material.  It relies heavily on verbal equivalence (word for word), rather than dynamic equivalence (thought for thought) translation.  However, I find that it is easier to read than the NASB, which also relies on word for word translation.  My old NIV relied on both word for word and thought for thought translation, and it was very helpful to me.  However, with the plethora of translations now available, and the manipulation of meaning by many translators, I have concluded that I will use word for word translations when quoting scripture to the public.

Again, please let me emphasize that I am not asking that anyone use any particular version of the Holy Bible. Please consult your minister or priest, and do a review of as much information as you need to.  Then decide which version you want to use.

*Carson, D.A., The King James Version Debate, A Plea for Realism, (1979), Baker Book House Company.




No comments:

Post a Comment