Sunday, October 20, 2019

Getting to Know God


Just about the time that I think I have a firm grasp on things, that I have learned what there is to know, then God shows me how much I have yet to learn.  It is a humbling experience.

God has done so much for me, and I want to tell others about Him so that they can be saved and blessed the way that I have been.  I have been praying, reading, and thinking about who God is.  As I study, I realize how much more I need to learn about Him.  I thank and praise God that He is helping me to get better acquainted with Him.  I wish each person who reads “Lamp in a Corner” to have the same blessing.

Therefore, I am asking you to read the Holy Bible.  In it, God has given us a description of Himself.  Please read a dependable, recognized version that was translated by a team of scholars; such as: The King James Version, The New King James Version, The New American Standard Bible, or The New International Version.  At the Christian Research Institute website ( https://www.equip.org/ ), you can find books and articles that you can trust will be consistent with orthodox Christian beliefs; things that have been consistently taught by the church throughout its history.

Our ability to understand God is limited in this life, but we have hope for the future:

For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away ...
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face.
Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

(1Corinthians 13:9-10,12 NKJV) *

However, the Apostle Paul also says:

… But we have the mind of Christ. (1Corinthians 2:16 NKJV)*

The Holy Spirit inspired the human writers of the Bible, and He dwells in each believer.  The Spirit of Christ has been given to us to instruct us.
(John 14:15-17, 26)

To begin with something that is clear, concise, correct and complete, the Apostle John wrote about God as follows:

… God is love.
By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1John 4:8-10 NASB)**

God thought this was important enough that He caused John to repeat it:

We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
(1John 4:16 NASB)**


* https://www.biblestudytools.com/nkjv/

** https://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/








No comments:

Post a Comment