Saturday, June 6, 2020

Christ's Crucifiction was Predicted 1,000 years in Advance


King David ruled Judea and Israel circa 1010 to 970 B.C. (1)  He was a poet and a prophet, inspired by the Holy Spirit to write at least 73 of the 150 Psalms. (2)  The Apostle Peter testified that the Holy Spirit inspired David. (Acts 1:16) (3)

In the 22nd Psalm, David wrote the last words that Jesus Christ spoke from the cross.  He also gave a vivid and detailed description of the death Jesus would endure to pay the price for our sins; 1,000 years after Psalm 22 was written.

Psalm 22

My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?

All those who see Me ridicule Me;
They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
“He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him;
Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!”

I am poured out like water,
And all My bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It has melted within Me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And My tongue clings to My jaws;
You have brought Me to the dust of death.

For dogs have surrounded Me;
The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
They pierced My hands and My feet;
I can count all My bones.
They look and stare at Me.
They divide My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.

(Psalm 22: 1,7-8,14-18 NKJV) (4)

Imagine pain so severe that one would feel like He could count His bones!  What a Savior we have in Christ our Lord.  He alone is great and worthy to be praised.



(2)  Rydelnik, Michael, and Vanlaningham, Michael, et al. The Moody Bible Commentary, The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago, 2014.

(3)  Ibid.





No comments:

Post a Comment