Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Meaning

I like pocket t-shirts.  They are just a little dressier than a regular t-shirt, and the pocket is handy for pens and notes.  They come in packages of about six or so, and the packages usually contain assorted colors.  No problem so far. 

These days, however, people may give meaning to the colors that you wear.  If you wear a red t-shirt, they may think you are a Republican, or they may think you are Democrat if you wear a blue one.  This also holds true for the color of your baseball cap … perhaps even more so. 

If you wear green and yellow, people may think you are a Green Bay Packers fan.  Where I live people wear blue and orange in support of the Boise State football team, and if you wear green and yellow, they may think you are a Colorado State University fan.  Treason! 

I once went into a discount department store in a gang neighborhood in the Denver area, and a clerk warned me about the colors I was wearing.  He said that wearing those colors in that neighborhood might get me in trouble. 

Yesterday, I wore a red pocket t-shirt and blue trousers.  I hope I didn’t confuse anybody.  I wore the t-shirt because it was clean, and the pants were an old pair of Dockers that I wear when I do yard work.  I bought them at an estate sale for 50 cents, and I have owned them for years.  I think I got my money’s worth.  There was no meaning intended in wearing those colors.  I just wore those clothes to work in the yard. 

Viktor Frankl wrote about finding meaning in existence.  He was a holocaust survivor, and he was profoundly affected by his experience of life.  In graduate school, one of my professors recommended that her students read Frankl, and I tried to read one of his books (The Will to Meaning).  What he had to say was mostly lost on me,  but experience and advanced age have taught me the importance of living a meaningful life. 

Soon, I will be 75 years old.  I am approaching the end of my earthly life, and the prospect of departing gets real at this age; when one tends to reflect on how one’s allotted time has been spent – the mistakes made and the things that turned out well. 

Please, let me give you this.  Live your life in such a way that when you get to be 75, and you reflect on how you spent your lifetime – you can say, “I lived it well.  I didn’t squander it.” 

Some people try to find meaning in their careers. I served my country.  When I worked in the private sector, I tried to do it in an ethical way, and to provide valuable service to others.  I served my country in the military, and I tried to build a better community through my career in civilian public service.  In all, I can say that did my best.  Yet, my working life, by itself, didn’t fulfill what was needed to make my life meaningful. 

I didn’t start life with the goal of being a good family man, but (eventually) I did because I needed a reason to live and work; beyond satisfying my own personal needs.  It was one of the best things I have done, but that alone has not given my life meaning. 

I support all education that will equip people with the skills needed to effectively participate in the workforce.  Thomas Jefferson is reported to have said that, “An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people.”  So long as education does not become political indoctrination, I support its efforts to inform students of the things they need to be good citizens and “well rounded” people.  Much of what passes for education now hinders upward mobility and foments social unrest.  It is wonderful to achieve academically, but the philosophies of this world eventually prove to be hollow when carried to their rational and logical conclusions. 

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.  For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,  and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2: 8-10 ESV) 

As the Bob Dylan song says, “You have got to serve somebody.”  By implication, you will either serve God, or you will serve the devil. 

No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.                   (Luke 16:13 ESV) 

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3: 23-24 ESV) 

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12: 1-2 ESV) 

The world calls it pride.  We stop short of that.  However, we may derive a reasonable sense of satisfaction from the things we have done well.  We need to remember that the things that give our lives meaning are the things that please God.  We hope that what we do as a service to Him will result one day in His saying to us: 

… ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’                     (Matthew 25:21 ESV) 

NOTE: All the Bible verses quoted were copied from: https://biblehub.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment