For now, the United States of America leads the world in developing Artificial Intelligence (AI). Communist China is our chief competitor, but they are still in a close second place. Other nations that are pursuing AI include: the United Kingdom (UK), Canada, Germany, France, Japan, Israel, Sweden, Australia, India, South Korea, and the United Arab Emirates. [1] One source identifies over 30 countries that are researching and developing AI. [2]
If we may be forgiven a foray into Ancient History, when I was born television (TV) was not yet commercially available to the average consumer. TV began to be a common household item when I was about five or six years old.
Almost everyone had a radio in their home, and most people had one in their car. The radios operated using cathode ray tubes. I got my first transistor radio for Christmas when I was about 12 years old. Mom thought it was a big deal, but I was disappointed. It was a little larger than a pack of cigarettes. My opinion changed, however, when I found it could be used listen to rock and roll after bedtime by sneaking it under the covers. Then the battery went dead. Mom was recently widowed, and she didn’t have the money to buy new batteries. Bummer. I mowed lawns and shoveled snow for spending money instead.
About the time that I graduated from High School, banks began to try to computerize. They mailed everyone punch cards for us to use to provide their computer with information for managing our accounts. They did not do a good job of explaining the importance of the cards or how to use them correctly. The result was that a lot of people messed up their accounts, and these initial moves toward computerization became widely regarded as a failure. I remember that I thought computerization was a mistake that would fail across the board.
Computers first began to appear in the places where I worked in the 1980’s. I was a County Director of Social Services in a remote, rural Colorado mountain county. Our Secretary/Receptionist had an IBM typewriter that allowed her to proof her work before printing it. I asked the County Commissioners for the money to buy a couple of small desktop computers for the Bookkeeper and my use. They said they didn’t have the money to waste on expensive gadgets. Then the state computerized the Public Assistance programs, and they bought and installed the needed computers for us. We had trouble getting them to work, however, because the rural telephone lines could not carry enough data.
I didn’t get a desktop computer in our home until the late 1990’s. My wife talked me into it because the word processor would help me generate the reports needed to earn my Master’s Degree. I still can’t touch type.
The point is that change is a constant. It will happen whether we like it or not. I am grateful for the Internet because it enables me to research and publish this Blog. It is a way that I can talk with people around the world about Jesus Christ and current events.
Like the Internet, AI is a tool. A hammer is a tool that can be used to build nice things or to vandalize someone’s automobile. Like the hammer, AI can be used for good purposes or for evil.
Recently, there has been a lot of controversy over the research, development and implementation of AI. It will be beneficial over a broad spectrum of society from medical care to space travel. Like any other tool, however, it has the potential to do great harm.
Unfortunately, the public discourse is becoming fearful. Opponents say the there is a risk that AI might even wipe out the human race. Visions of Skylab from the Terminator movies populate the opponents’ imaginations. On the other hand, the advocates point out that the greater risk lies in allowing the Communist Chinese to get the upper hand, and that they will use AI to dominate us and the rest of the free world.
The major tech companies are advocating for more government regulation. Conservatives point out that involving the government does not have an impressive track record of success.
The US is in the midst of an election year, and the issue is unfortunately becoming another partisan political debate. Conservatives are generally for AI, and Liberals are against it. Both sides are engaging in hyperbole, exaggerating their talking points for emphasis. It never ends.
President Donald Trump is correct on this one. AI is happening already, and it is inevitable. Our national security depends on the US maintaining its position as the global leader in AI. If we do not, the Communist Chinese will do it for us … to our great loss.
The Liberals are correct that the use of caution is mandatory. It is ironic that even the big tech companies are asking for government regulation.
Lamp in a Corner is generally opposed to big government. We would point out that government involvement often results in retarding or stopping progress, and that government involvement opens the door for government abuse. (Big Brother is watching you.) The preferable solution would be for the developers to set up a system of joint, cooperative self-regulation with Congressional oversight.
The Holy Bible predicts a seven-year period of time when God will pour out His wrath on an unbelieving world. During this time, the Antichrist will set up an image of himself in a new temple in Jerusalem, and he will require everyone to worship him on pain of death. To enforce this constraint, he will make people accept a mark in their hand or forehead, and nobody will be able to engage in commerce without it. This will require a mechanism for enforcement, and we speculate that advanced computer systems might be one way that he will accomplish that. (see Revelation, chapters 6-16) We are not advocating the advancement of computer technology to help the Antichrist. We simply pointing out that it is going to happen regardless of what we do.
We urge our fellow citizens to vote for candidates in November who favor AI, but with appropriate safeguards built into it to prevent garbage in – garbage out, abuse by unscrupulous users, and the thing placing the human race at risk.
Our opponents will use AI
to enhance their military capabilities, and we must stay ahead of them. It may be dangerous to do so, but it is more
dangerous not to.
No comments:
Post a Comment