Sunday, September 16, 2018

BC and AD, etc.


I like to watch documentaries on television.  I tend to watch a lot of historical documentaries or programs about current events that use a chronological development.

Traditionally, dates from the Gregorian calendar have used the advent of Christ as a reference point.  Events that happened before Jesus’ birth were labeled BC (Before Christ); those after His birth AD (anno Domini, often translated as “in the year of our Lord”).

Recently, I have noticed that some programs, particularly those produced for PBS (Public Broadcasting Service), or on behalf of other faiths are using BCE (Before Common, or Current, Era); or CE (Common Era) in place of BC and AD.  The dates are otherwise the same.  I learned that this has been so, since the 1990’s or even earlier.

I guess that goes to show that I have gotten a little out of touch.  I keep busy, and I miss things while dealing with the challenges of daily living.  I was about to write a diatribe against political correctness, but I have reconsidered after researching the matter. “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” (Abraham Lincoln)

Apparently, using dates that do not refer to a particular religion is more comfortable or “inclusive” in the view of some.  That is understandable in the case of work that represents the point of view of a different religious tradition.  I am concerned that the educational system may begin to correct Christians when they use BC and AD in their work.  That would be an infringement of their First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and religious expression.

“Lamp in a Corner” is a Christian blog.  I will, therefore, continue to use BC and AD when referring to dates.








No comments:

Post a Comment