Thursday, August 27, 2020

A Change of Plan


Sometimes things do not turn out as planned.  Yesterday, I took my little jon boat to the mountains.  I intended to do some fishing near Cascade, Idaho at Warm lake.  However, when I got to the lake the wind was blowing at about 20 mph, and I decided not to put the boat in the water.  The chop wasn’t that bad.  My little boat can handle a pretty good swell.  It is just that jon boats have a flat bottom, and the wind moves them around a lot more than it does boats with a v-hull or a keel.  It is difficult to drive the boat in the wind and fish at the same time.

Aaron Tippin  recorded a Country and Western song with a verse that says, “You’ve got to stand for something, or you’ll fall for anything.”  In an election year, we hear a lot about what the candidates and their political parties say they stand for.  They all say that their vision for the country will help the people the most.  But, it is difficult to drive the boat and fish at the same time, especially when the wind starts to blow.

That is why we need to ‘let go and let God.’  He knows how best to drive the boat.  He knows how to lead us to an abundant catch of fish.  (Luke 5:4-5)  Jesus can make you “fishers of men.” (Matthew 4:19)  Like the wind, the Holy Spirit moves without being seen.  Yet, we know He is there.  We can feel His presence and see the results of what He is doing. (John 3:5)

I waited a while at Warm Lake to see if the wind would stop stirring up the waters.  The wind kept blowing, so I decided to drive to Deadwood Reservoir.  The road turned from pavement to gravel, and it was slow going because there were “washboards” on it.  Not a problem, but when I got to Deadwood Reservoir, it was already time to go home.

As I was leaving home yesterday, I asked God to lead and guide the day.  I admit that I was a little disappointed about not fishing, but I got to see the mountains south of Warm Lake.  It is an area I have wanted to explore ever since we moved to Idaho.  I saw three deer and a lot of ground squirrels and chipmunks, and I got to assess the area as a potential place to hunt (too difficult for a 72 year old).  I definitely want to return to the area to fish.  There is a big burn area near Lowman, ID, and I it was interesting to see some of that, too.  As It turned out, the Lord’s plan for my day was better than mine … as usual.

Americans will be called upon to make some choices in a couple of months.  Before you vote, ask God which path He wants the country to take.  Pray for His leadership and guidance.  Read His Word.  The Holy Spirit will direct you, if you let Him.  God’s ways are always the best.

The Lord has a place for you in His plan for the ages.  Believe in Jesus and allow Him to direct your life.  You will be glad you did.



2 comments:

  1. Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge him and he will carry you through.

    ReplyDelete