When I was a young US Army Lieutenant, I was privileged to be stationed in what was then West Germany. During that time, I dated a German woman, and we visited a lot of historic places.
One day, she took me to the war memorial at Hartmannsweilerkopf (German), or Vieil Armand (French), that is maintained by France and Germany in the Alsace country on their shared border near the Black Forest. It honors the fallen on both sides in a battle that took place there in 1915. The fighting was typical of WW I. Each side gained ground in assaults, only to lose it to counteroffensives. It devolved into trench warfare between the peak periods of fighting. Reports vary, but it is safe to say that about 30,000 men died there in several major engagements, during 1915. [1]
The battle of Hartmannsweilerkopf was fought for control of high ground that dominates access to the Alsace Plain, the Rhine River, and the Black Forrest. [2] Eventually, it became a stalemate between the entrenched German and French forces.
The Alsace region is extraordinarily beautiful; so much so that it is hard to remember that it has been contested ground many times historically. People in the surrounding area say jokingly that it has changed hands so many times that the people there speak both French and German because they can’t tell which one they are.
As I remember it, some 53 years later, there is a war memorial, military cemetery, and small museum at Hartmannsweilerkopf, and about a mile of the trenches have been preserved to show what life was like for the soldiers who fought there. When I saw it I was filled with a profound sense of sadness. It did not escape me that so many lives were cut short, and that this is often the fate of the soldier.
There are many war memorials in Europe. The people there have a deep sense of reverence for their war dead. In Austria, many small villages have markers with the names and pictures of the men from the village who were killed in action.
Therefore, it came as a surprise to my girlfriend when my reaction was to mourn the senseless loss of life, rather than to be inspired by the sacrifice of the fallen. She told me that she thought I would like visiting the battlefield because I was a soldier. I couldn’t find the words to express to her how I felt.
Pershing missile units were a “big red X” on the Soviet Union’s war map, but I never had anyone actually shoot at me during my tour of duty. I am not speaking from combat experience. However, if I had known of this quote from General Douglas MacArthur at the time, it might have helped me to tell my girlfriend how I felt that day at the war memorial.
“The soldier above all others prays for peace,
for it is the soldier who must suffer
and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” Douglas MacArthur [3]
Of course, I honor the fallen, and I am truly grateful for their sacrifice. Better men than I have died for their country. The mixed feelings come from an intense regret that it was necessary to call upon them to do so. There are always new bad guys whose Satan-inspired evil deeds make it necessary for the good guys to fight them. Jesus said:
“And you will hear of wars and threats of wars, but don’t panic. Yes, these things must take place, but the end won’t follow immediately. Nation will go to war against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world. But all this is only the first of the birth pains, with more to come.” (Matthew 24:6-8 NLT) [4]
The following is not intended to diminish in any way the pain that comes with the loss of American lives in Operation Epic Fury. Their sacrifice, and that of their families, friends, and comrades in arms deserve our greatest respect and honor. It is hoped that this information may help us to put things in perspective, because it is truly a miracle that we have been able to significantly reduce the ability of the outlaw regime in Iran to wage offensive war while suffering so few casualties.
Estimates vary, but one
source indicates that between 15 and 22 million military and civilian deaths occurred
because of World War I. [5] In World War II, there were about 28.6 million
military personnel killed, and about 38 million civilian deaths have been
attributed to military actions. Another
22.9 million civilian WW II deaths have been attributed to the disease and famine
that always accompany war. [6]
(Revelation 6:1-8)
During the Korean War, it is believed that 33,652 Americans were killed in action and another 3,262 died of “non-battle” causes. [7] In Vietnam, 58,202 lost their lives; 47,378 combat deaths and 10,800 “non-hostile” deaths. Several of my high school classmates were killed in Vietnam. It is reported that 9,087,000 Americans served in the military during the Vietnam war (including myself). [8] When we came home we did not hear the words “Thank you for your service.” … although they did come much, much later.
It is reported that the Russian Federation is estimated to have brought 450,000 combat deaths upon itself in the Russia/Ukraine war. Their total casualties (killed and wounded) may number as many as 1.4 million. Ukraine is estimated to have suffered between 125,000 to 150,000 killed in action and about 400,000 to 475,000 wounded. [9]
The data indicate that war can come at a terrible cost in human lives. We can see that casualties are an integral part of war – you can’t have one without the other.
It is also apparent that the United States has become more casualty averse. Our President is chief among those who hate the loss of life that comes through war. We have increased the monetary cost of war by developing expensive weapons that limit civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure. Nevertheless, where there is war there will always be casualties.
Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Hideki Tojo were defeated, but they were replaced by Josef Stalin, Mao Zedong, and Kim Il Sung. In turn, we are now dealing with Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-Un, and the IRGC. These people share common traits. They are totalitarians who use threat, intimidation and force to compel other people to bend to their will. They murder their own people and viciously suppress any and all opposition. They seek to project power beyond their borders, and they do not respect those who oppose them with anything except force or the threat of force.
Free people who want to stay free will always be forced by monsters like these to defend their freedom. Our friends, family and fellow countrymen will get killed and wounded in the process. President Ronald Reagan got it right:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan [10]
I hate war more than many
of my fellow Conservatives. In November,
however, I urge you to join me by voting for candidates who understand that it will be necessary,
when diplomacy fails, for Americans to defend our freedom and the freedom of other
friendly nations. “Freedom isn’t free.” It will come
at a cost in lives and treasure, but it must be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment